• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can your dentist refuse to see you in middle of treatment?

Process

Bluelighter
I was in a middle of a deep cleanseing treatment for my gums/teeth. My dentist set up 3 appointments for a dental hyginst. I went to one. I rescheduled once, and I missed my last one due to a benzo od and woke up with my parenets telling me my dentist wont see me because i missed.

Are my parents lying to me in order to save themselfs money (i'm 21 under there insurence and no way of geting dental health otherwise) This dentist is the only one who knows my condition. I feel like my dad set it up then lied to me. If I don't get this cleanseing finished I will 100% have a huge infection in my gums.

So legaly in usa can a dentist do this? Pretty sure they would just charge a fee for missing the appointment...It only happend once. and I re sched once.

Maybe you could call the dentist yourself and find out?

I was in a middle of a deep cleanseing treatment for my gums/teeth. My dentist set up 3 appointments for a dental hyginst. I went to one. I rescheduled once, and I missed my last one due to a benzo od and woke up with my parenets telling me my dentist wont see me because i missed.

Are my parents lying to me in order to save themselfs money (i'm 21 under there insurence and no way of geting dental health otherwise) This dentist is the only one who knows my condition. I feel like my dad set it up then lied to me. If I don't get this cleanseing finished I will 100% have a huge infection in my gums.

So legaly in usa can a dentist do this? Pretty sure they would just charge a fee for missing the appointment...It only happend once. and I re sched once.

I do not know if they can legally deny you because you missed any appointment seems kinda of odd. Do you have a history of missed appointments with this dentist?

I do not know if they can legally deny you because you missed any appointment seems kinda of odd. Do you have a history of missed appointments with this dentist?

No doctor has to treat you except in some cases where it is a medical emergency. Missing appointments will commonly cause a doctor to drop you, because they lose money by you not showing up

If you actually did OD on benzos and have hospital proof and stuff, I'm sure if you call the office and offer to drop that stuff off that they'll give you another chance --- random things come up sometimes. I don't think revealing that info to a dentist will get you marked as a drug seeker, honestly. But I know some people on here use "OD" and don't mean actual almost-dying-at-the-hospital, so if the case is that you just irresponsibly took too much and were passed out through the appointment time then you're just gonna have to find a different dentists --- drs do drop you for missing appointments, as said above, especially a dentist which allows huge time gaps for each patient...if he's got a waiting list it's even more reasonable.

Why would your parents lie to you if they knew how important it was? My family and I all have dental problems, and thats not the kind of thing even something like if I fucked up and ODed and they were short on money that they would mess with, since medical stuff is extremely important. That seems a little paranoid.

Dentistry isn't a public service. They don't have to see you, and they don't have to give you a reason. Most wouldn't just randomly drop you though. Its a business just like any other. They aren't going to turn down money without a good reason. Maybe you gave them one.

Most policies follow the 24 hour notice rule. You gave it once, then you missed. If you were to call and talk to them, possibly apologize, they may see you.

A health professional can stop treating you for a missed appointment in my area. I can not imagine a law or code of ethics that would dictate otherwise except possibly when life, limb, or sanity is involved. If your condition were life threatening or immanent danger were involved some professions would require referral to another professional or a report to a government agency.

Many professionals require payment for missed appointments. Idle time costs them money. They pay a lot of costs on their practice before ever seeing a patient and have a set schedule most of the time with only so many open slots. Was this the first appointment you missed?